Are you seeing “The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (4013).” Error message? iPhone Error 4013, also known as iTunes Error 4013, is one of the most common errors that iPhone users encounter while updating or restoring their iPhone device using iTunes.
The iPhone Error 4013 can be caused by number of reasons. Some of them are
- hardware related problems like
- broken or damaged USB cable
- usage of non-original USB cable
- faulty USB port on PC
- insufficient storage space on your iPhone
- older version of iTunes
- a iTunes or iOS system bug
Because iPhone Error 4013 is a general error it is hard to say what is the exact reason for getting this message, so you might need to try few things before you fix the error. Here are some of the things you can try to fix iPhone Error 4013.
Check the USB Cable or USB Port
One of the common reasons for getting iPhone Error 4013 message is a problem with connectivity between your iPhone and PC. This may be because of the damaged USB cable or problem with USB port on PC. Most PCs have more than one USB port, so you can try to use another USB port. Also, you can try to use another USB cable – if possible use original USB cable from Apple.
If this don’t help you can also try with another PC to eliminate PC related problems.
Older version of iTunes
Sometimes iPhone Error 4013 can be result of using outdated version of iTunes. It is always smart to use the latest version. Update process in iTunes is very simple. After you launch iTunes, click “Help”, and choose “Check for Updates”. If there is newer version available it will offer you to download it and install.
You can also download latest iTunes version directly from Apple iTunes page.
Restart your iPhone
To eliminate possible temporal problems with iPhone and iOS you can try with restarting your iPhone. Here is how to force restart on iPhone X/8:
- Press and release the volume up button.
- Press and release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the side button until the screen turns off and then turns back on. Release the side button when the Apple logo appears.
Clean the space on iPhone
Be sure that reason for getting iPhone Error 4013 isn’t insufficient space on your iPhone. To check how much free space you have to the following:
- Launch the Settings app.
- Choose the General tab.
- Choose the About tab and scroll until you see the Available option
Fix iPhone Error 4013 using iSkysoft Toolbox - Repair (iOS)
If none of the things above works you can try with iSkysoft Toolbox - Repair (iOS), a professional software which is design to fix iOS system issues with just few clicks. It can fix iPhone issues with iOS system recovery, stucking in recovery mode, DFU mode, white Apple logo, etc. without data loss.
iSkysoft Toolbox - Repair (iOS) is just one module of the iSkysoft Toolbox which is composed of the 8 main modules/functionalities:
- Recover – recover data from your phone
- Transfer – transfer data between your phone and computer
- Repair – repair your iOS system
- Erase – permanently erase data from your phone
- Switch – copy data from one phone to another
- Backup&Restore – backup and restore your phone including contact, photo etc.
- Unlock – remove your phone’s lock screen (iPhone unlock software)
- Restore Social App – backup and restore your WhatsApp, LINE, Kik, Viber, Wechat
Here is step by step guide how to fix error 4013 iPhone 6:
You can download iSkysoft Toolbox - Repair (iOS) here: Windows or Mac version.
Installation file is very small – little under 1MB. Supported languages are English, Deutsch, France, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, Chinese and Arabic. Product is fully compatible with latest iOS 12 and it supports all iPhone/iPad models, including iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad, etc.
After you have downloaded and installed iSkysoft Toolbox - Repair (iOS) lunch it. Main screen has clear and modern design with mostly light green and white colors. It is consisted from 8 large icons with clear text that leads users to specific action. Click on “Repair”.
After you choose “Repair”, a popup window with a list of more than 20 common iOS system issues will appear. Some of them are:
- Stuck on White Apple logo
- Black screen of death
- Stuck in boot loop
- Stuck on Connect to iTunes
- iPhone Frozen
- iPhone is disabled connect to iTunes
- iPhone/iPad bricked
- Stuck on Slide to Upgrade screen
- iPhone failed to update
- iPhone won’t update
- Stuck in DFU mode
- Stuck in recovery mode
- Stuck in Headphone mode
- iPhone boot loop
- iPhone crash
- iPhone keeps restarting
- iPhone won’t turn off
- iPhone red screen
- iPhone keeps turning off
- iPhone could not be restored error
- iPhone stuck on loading screen
Before you continue be sure that your iPhone is connected to PC using USB cable.
To fix error 4013 iphone 6 choose “iPhone could not be restored error”. This will open “System recovery” option which can recover your device to normal operation with any data loss. But there are few things you need to know:
- This action will update your iPhone iOS to latest version
- This action will re-lock unlocked devices
- This action will restore jailbroken devices to original non-jailbroken state
This shouldn’t be a problem for anyone because if you want you can unlock and jailbroke your iPhone again after the process is over.
To continue with process click on “Start” after which program will ask you to specify your device model. If you are not sure what to enter you have green link “How to check the device model?” which will help you with entering right data.
After you have entered device model data you need to click on “Download” button which will download your device firmware from the Internet. Depending on firmware size and your Internet speed this can take some time. If you have firmware on your hard drive you have option to use it.
After firmware download is done, iSkysoft Toolbox will automatically start with repair process which can last up to 10 minutes. After the process is over your iPhone Error 4013 should be fixed and there shouldn't be any data loss.