Advertisement

Why is Windows 10 so inefficient when transferring large quantities of certain files - JPGs vs MP4?

RowanBraxton

Learning to use PC
OS X Chrome 79.0.3945.88
Every time I transfer large sized mp4 video files (1/4/10GB etc) from my C drive (Samsung M.2 NVMe) to my NAS via ethernet, I can sustain transfer rates between 90-110 MB/s but when I transfer a folder full of jpg files (say like 500Mbs worth) in the same direction, the transfer rate trickles to like 2-6 Mb/s. A 500MB mp4 video file will transfer within seconds compared to 500MBs worth of jpgs. Something doesn't seem right. What is it that multiple small files being transferred does to Windows that can't sustain a high transfer rate compared to transferring a single large video file? I guess this is something to do with buffering? I'm just curious why small files create such a hurdle? Is this something that can be addressed?

Advertisement

Dzi

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 10 Chrome 79.0.3945.88
One problem can be disk defragmentation. There is smaller chance that large number of smaller files are stored on same disk area, while large file is usually less defragmented.
You can try with http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php to see will there be some speed increase