What is my Computers Maximum CPU Temperature?

dalmatino

A lot of users frequently ask if their computers are running too hot and want to know their maximum temperature for their CPU is. This article will show you how to monitor your processors temperature and tell you the maximum CPU temperature your PC should be running at.

First of all, you need a CPU temperature monitoring program in order to measure what your current CPU temperature is. There are many good processor monitoring applications out there and it is most likely that there is one on the CD which came with your motherboard. If there isn’t one on the CD (or you have since lost it) I recommend Motherboard Monitor which is freeware and can be found HERE.

Motherboard Monitor is useful because not only you can make it constantly show you the temperature in real time on your system tray, but you can set it up so that if the maximum temperature is reached an alarm will go off.

An example of Motherboard Monitors temperature monitoring in the systemtray.Another way of checking your CPU temperature is to look in your computers BIOS. To get into your computers BIOS; on the first screen you see press “Del” to enter setup, on some machines this may be F1, F2 or F10.
Once you are in BIOS setup there will be an option called “Hardware Monitor” or “PC Health” section (mine was found under “Power > Hardware Monitor”).

However this isn’t a very good method to measure your computer temperature because when your computer is in the BIOS your computer is doing nothing and therefore not generating the heat that is caused during normal computer use.
Ok, I know the temperature now, Is my CPU too hot?

Once you know what your computer temperature is you should consult the chart below to determine the maximum temperature allowed for your CPU type.

Note: If you dont know what your CPU type is you can use a tool like Everest Free to find out.

CPU
Max Temperature

AMD Althon, Althon
Opteron, Duron & Sempron Series

AMD Athlon (socket) upto 1Ghz 90°C
AMD Athlon (slot) all speeds 70°C
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz+ 95°C
AMD Athlon MP 1.33Ghz+ 95°C
AMD Athlon XP 1.33Ghz+ 90°C
AMD Athlon XP T-Bred upto 2100+ 90°C
AMD Athlon XP T-Bred over 2100+ 85°C
AMD Athlon XP Barton 85°C
AMD Duron up to 1Ghz 90°C
AMD Duron 1Ghz+ 90°C
AMD Duron Applebred 85°C
AMD Opteron 65 – 71°C
AMD Athlon 64 70°C
AMD Athlon 64 (Socket 939, 1.4 volts) 65°C
AMD Athlon 64 FX 70°C
AMD Athlon 64 X2 71°C
AMD Sempron (T-bred/Barton core) 90°C
AMD Sempron (Paris core) 70°C
AMD Mobile Sempron 95°C
AMD K6 Series
AMD K6/K6-2/K6-III (All except below) 70°C
AMD K6-2/K6-III (model number ending in X) 65°C
AMD K6-2+/K6-III+ 85°C
Intel Pentium III Series
Pentium III Slot 1 500-866Mhz 80°C
Pentium III Slot and socket 933Mhz 75°C
Pentium III Slot 1 1Ghz 60 – 70°C
Pentium III Slot 1 1.13Ghz 62°C
Intel Celeron Series
Intel Celeron 266-433Mhz 85°C
Intel Celeron 466-533Mhz 70°C
Intel Celeron 566-600Mhz (Coppermine) 90°C
Intel Celeron 633-667Mhz 82°C
Intel Celeron 700 – 850Mhz 80°C
Intel Celeron 900Mhz – 1.6Ghz 69 – 70°C
Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz and Higher 67 – 77°C
Intel Pentium II
Intel Pentium II (First Generation “Klamath”) 72 – 75°C
Intel Pentium II (Second Generation, 266-333Mhz) 65°C
Intel Pentium II (350 – 400Mhz) 75°C
Intel Pentium II (450Mhz) 70°C
Intel Pentium 4,
Pentium M (notebooks)

Intel Pentium 4 64 – 78°C
There are no specific stats for Pentium 4 CPU’s as P4′s have an ability to slow themselves down when they are getting too hot and thus, in theory they should never be able to burn themselves out. To get specifics consult Intel’s specifications for your particular model.
Intel Pentium M (notebooks) 100°C
Intel Pentium D (dual
core)

Intel Pentium D 820 (2.8Ghz) 63°C
Intel Pentium D 830 & 840 (3.0 – 3.2Ghz) 69.8°C
Intel Pentium Pro
Intel Pentium Pro. 256 or 512K L2 Cache 85°C
Intel Pentium Pro. 1MB L2 Cache 80°C
Warning: This is a self help guide. These are maximums and your system should be at least a good 20C- 30C below these numbers. Technibble and its owners can not be held responsible for the problems that may occur by using this information.

Chie Chen

New user
According to my personal experiences, generally, AMD athlone x2 CPUs are much better in performance, temperature, and price when comparing with Intel brand cpus.

Reactions: Dzi